4/25/2016

Satsuma Plum Ice Cream

A few weeks ago, whilst browsing through BlogLovin, I came across this rather super duper food website called BrooklynSupper which I think you guys should all check out immediately after reading this! I am already completely in love with Elizabeth Starks blog. Her blog is really easy to navigate around, the layout is crisp and clear, the photography is gorgeous and I love how she always has a story to tell before posting her recipes.  I live on my own, so obviously only need to cook for myself but when it comes to things like cakes and ice cream, I pretend I live with other people so I can make them. This is completely normal yes? I'm not a huge fan of fruit, apples for instance give me stomach ache and trapped wind (TMI!) but fruit in ice cream..bring it on.

When I visit family, I do cook and I cook in large portions because I love to cook and over indulge people. My way of showing people that I care is well basically to over fed them! This recipe contains the love of my Mr Vodka, so this is a no no for children. 

Satsuma Plum Ice Cream
1 and a half cups of Satsuma
2 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup of Sugar
2 cups of heavy Cream

1/4 cup of Vodka (any brand)
1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt

Zest of one Lemon
1 cup of Milk
2 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon of 1 freshly squeezed Lime

1/ In a sauce pan combine half the cream, all of the milk, sea salt and sugar. Cook on a medium heat stirring often until it begins to steam. Once this happens set aside to cool.
2/ Puree or mash  the one and a half cups of plum. Put these plums aside. You don't need the remaining plums so put a little juice in the bowl, cover them and place them in the fridge for later.
3/  Grab a large bowl, mix the cream mixture (which you set aside to cool) with the plums you just puree, the rest of the cream, vodka (yipee!) lime juice and lemon zest.  If you have a larger bowl than the one you are using then place ice cold water in it and put this bowl inside. Be careful not to overflow with water as the water will rise when you place the bowl the smaller bowl inside! Place in the fridge for about two hours, longer if your not placing it within the ice water bath.
4/ My sister has an ice cream maker, so I used hers for this. I think all ice cream makers have different settings etc. Whatever your one says then follow it and stir in the rest of your plum and juice. Once you are satisfied that your ice cream has thicken up place into a contained of your choice and freeze for about three hours or so.

Do make sure you take a peek at her website as she has hundred of recipes to choose from.
Jessica

No comments

Post a Comment

© Vodka and a RoseMaira Gall